Work at MPI
The Migration Policy Institute is an independent, nonpartisan think tank that seeks to improve immigration and integration policies through authoritative research and analysis, opportunities for learning and dialogue, and the development of new ideas to address complex policy questions.
MPI is committed to recruiting, hiring, retaining, and developing staff at all levels who reflect the breadth of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives in the countries where we work. This encourages diversity of thought that enriches and adds greater credibility to our work. As such, we are committed to making sure that staff members of all backgrounds work in an inclusive environment with equity and access for all.
What if the next step in your career was to join a dynamic team of communications professionals who are passionate about achieving the greatest impact, reach, and visibility for one of the world’s premier think tanks on international migration? Join a team that values finding the most effective ways to disseminate the research, analysis, and data generated by our experts, working across platforms to reach diverse audiences in the United States and internationally. We are a tight-knit, high-energy, collegial team looking for a new member with excellent writing, editing, and social media skills, as well as full oral and written Spanish language fluency.
As Communications Officer, you will immediately make an impact. You will contribute to the Migration Policy Institute’s work by crafting press releases and social media campaigns; engaging with news organizations in Latin America and beyond; helping shape communications strategies; playing a key role in redesign of MPI’s website; editing short-form work; and assisting in the promotion of MPI’s public and private events, conferences, and webinars. While assignments will vary day to day, the successful candidate must be a creative, detail-oriented, versatile professional who can prioritize between quick-turnaround projects and longer-term deliverables, working collaboratively with colleagues across the Institute yet also able to operate independently.
MPI is an independent, nonpartisan think tank that seeks to improve immigration and integration policies through authoritative research and analysis, opportunities for learning and dialogue, and the development of new ideas to address complex policy questions. MPI is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and retaining staff at all levels who reflect the breadth of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives in the countries where we work. This breadth of experience encourages diversity of thought that enriches and adds greater credibility to our work. MPI is committed to making sure that staff members of all backgrounds work in an inclusive, equitable environment.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent experience, with 2 – 5 years of relevant communications or journalism experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to write quickly and concisely, with great attention to accuracy and ability to translate policy writing into content accessible to non-specialist audiences (finalists will be asked to complete a writing and/or editing exercise)
- Native standard of written and spoken fluency in Spanish
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe CS Suite (Illustrator in particular)
- Experience crafting social media campaigns and effective digital strategies
- Proven ability to be part of a fast-moving, dynamic environment and work effectively under pressure and under tight deadlines on multiple projects
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and able to work both independently and collegially in a team environment
- Knowledge of migration policy and trends
- Substantive editing and copy-editing skills (Chicago Manual of Style preferred)
- Graphic design experience
- Experience dealing with print and broadcast journalists, bookers, and producers
- Proficiency with multimedia editing software
- International experience
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Communications and communications team to implement the Institute’s strategic communications plan and communicate its message to the media, the policy community, related research and advocacy groups, and policymakers
- Craft social media campaigns and strategy, and monitor engagement
- Write and edit press releases, media advisories, press kits, talking points, and other materials
- Assist in handling incoming media inquiries
- Assist in shaping and executing media and external constituency outreach
- Design infographics and other visuals
- Take photos and record/edit podcasts and video content
- Perform research as needed for media outreach and to update media mailing lists
- Assist with other communications, events, and marketing logistics.
Salary and Benefits
This position comes with a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, writing samples, and salary history to [email protected]. Please reference “Communications Officer” in the subject line and include a line telling us how you heard about this position. No phone calls, please.
Hard copies may be sent to:
Migration Policy Institute
1275 K St., Suite 800
Washington, DC 20005
Applications are due by close of business on December 5, 2022. However, we encourage candidates to apply as early as possible as applications are being considered on a rolling basis. Due to the large number of applicants, only those being considered for the position will be contacted.
The Migration Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual or gender orientation, religion or physical ability.
View job openings in the MPI Europe office in Brussels.